The participants in this language assignment experiments are
conversations between my wife, and both my ten and eight-year-old daughters. I’ve
decided to use random topics of conversations. This way everyone could speak
about anything they feel is important to them and makes it easier for all individuals
to share. From there the idea was to continue conversing on one topic or branch
out to various ones. This is how the experiment went.
In the first conversation, we all sat together in the living
room where we could see each other’s faces. I explained the rules and we began.
In this conversation I became solely the listener and was restricted from speaking.
I sat quiet, and as soon as my wife initiated the first words if discussion, I accidentally
spoke the words “OK”. This meant that we had to restart our first trial, and so
we did. The topic was instant; based on the amount of time I gave my daughters to
play Roblox – an online video game. They had a maximum of two hours of playtime,
and they were suggesting I give them more time to play. Their play time usually
consists of joining their cousin online, so that they can play together. One of
their concerns was that their game time expires close to the time that their
cousin arrives to play with them. In my mind I was thinking that they should
get in touch with their cousin in advance to set a time where all three of them
login to play, that way they maximize their time as a group. My wife expressed
the same solution, so I knew we agreed. As the conversation progressed, my wife
brought up the fact that I should have picked a better time to do this
experiment. She thought that it would have been a better idea if I would have notified
them in advance of this experiment, instead of presenting it to them spontaneously.
It was very difficult not being allowed to respond to each of their concerns,
so I had to do a lot of head-nodding to show agreement. I also provided plenty
of eye contact and my hand gestures consisted of both uniting my hands together
in a relaxed manner or letting them rest on my knees. As each one spoke, I directed
my attention to them. In some instances, in the conversation, my wife referenced
my kid’s concerns and I would turn to look at them. As I did this, there were a few times where my
younger daughter asked me why I was staring at her, and my older one asked why
I was nodding head so much. Of course, this was awkward for them, since I did
it without saying a word. Fighting the urge to respond was the most difficult thing
to do, because body language could not answer their questions, and you could
only do so many gestures to agree or disagree. Not being able to provide a
reason for my reactions was by far a challenge.
The conversation was balanced between my wife and my kids,
and not controlled by one specific person. As each had questions, others supplemented
with their responses and concerns. Although my instructions gave them liberty
to pick any topic, they only focused on one topic. I never felt very much included,
since the topic of gaming time was the focus. I’m the one who supervises their
gaming time since I have the mobile app to supervise their Chromebooks, so I never
felt excluded from the conversation. In fact, I remained very attentive since I
was fighting the urge to verbally respond. This means that I had very little power
in this conversation, because I was limited in conveying how I felt. As they
had more to say, I felt I was losing power by not being able to respond in a
complete way.
Of course, having a spoken language is a great communicative
advantage. A culture that shares a spoken language has greater advantage over
one that doesn’t. With spoken language one could convey more complex ideas. Take
my trial in this experiment as an example. I was very limited in body language
and face expressions. In my conversation alone, I was able to nod in agreement,
raise my eyebrows to show interest, make eye contact, and use hand gestures.
But those actions were insufficient to answer any questions or concerns that my
family presented to me. The communication that I was able to demonstrate was
just not enough to the group that was able to speak. If my family was
representing a speaking culture, and I was representing a non-speaking one,
there is a chance that I may eventually be excluded because I don’t posses the
skills to speak their language. In the experiment it was easy to understand
them, but if I truly did not posses a language skill, I am sure it would be the
equivalent of listening to a group speak a foreign language. This is exactly
how we could compare the difference in a modern scenario; where you have two different
groups that speak completely different languages. If we present two groups that
speaks different languages, the only way that they will be able to understand
each other is by using body language and gestures, and even that will bear
minimal communication between the two.
As we continued with our experiment, it was my turn to speak
to my family. Finally, I could address their concerns. I started out by
speaking and using hand gestures, which I immediately realized I was not
allowed to do. This is where it became difficult, because when I speak, I use a
lot of hand movement to emphasize on things. So, having to speak without
showing any emotion, hand gestures, face expressions, or head movement felt
like I was not getting my point across. I had to make sure I spoke in a monotone
voice throughout the entire time, because I was not allowed to alter the tone
of voice. This is especially difficult when one tries to emphasize words. I
answered all the questions and concerns that my family had from the first part of
this experiment. I was finally able to word everything I wanted to say, but it
felt extremely different due to the restrictions we had. Once we finished the
second trial, I asked what they thought of the way I spoke and my
non-movements. My wife immediately said I was extremely boring, and my kids
thought I was resembling a statue-like posture. They also felt that my acknowledgements
to their concerns seemed ingenuine and somewhat careless. They understood everything
I was saying, but because I sounded so bland, they were under the impression
that I was not being honest. But my intentions were to communicate my response
to their concerns, but the way I sounded and the way I was sitting presented an
inorganic feeling.
This part of the experiment shows how important body
language and tone of voice is. The ability to speak a language is a powerful way
to communicate and using body language and tone of voice only emphasizes this way
of communication. Body language could help emphasize a word, a sentence and
overall a message. It helps convey genuineness, importance and emphasis. In my experiment
that’s exactly what the absence of body language revealed; lack of honesty on
what I spoke. That is the information that my family realized was missing when I
spoke to them when addressing their concerns of our conversation.
Possessing the ability to read body language is an adaptive
benefit, and it is important when intaking information. Body language expresses
many things like danger which can be shown through facial features. There could
be instances where if we are not able to speak, our face expression could communicate
danger and fear. These facial features could help communicate the urgency to survive
in a scenario where they are in danger. Body language is something the eye observes, and our brain
interprets. There must be certain individuals that cannot interpret body
language, just as others can’t understand a foreign language. And as important
as body language could be, there are scenarios where we cannot observe body
language when listening to someone talking. A certain scenario might be someone
speaking through audio alone, with no visual. This would be an example of not
reading someone’s body language and solely relying on the information they are verbally
providing. This could be listening to the news or an audio podcast on any given
topic. The information is there being passed on, but we could not visually see
the body language or gestures that would accompany the information. In this
case the information is solely based on the verbal information.
Part A: Great description here! So brave of you to do this with your children.
ReplyDeleteWith regard to your next section, I suggest that the reason you weren't excluded was because your kids were taking advantage of your silence to their benefit. :-) I know when I occasionally lose my voice, all my kids love it and try to talk to me because they enjoy my frustration. Think about how this might have been different if you were doing this just with adults. Might you have been excluded then?
Very good discussion on the issue of communicating complex ideas and a real-life example of this experiment.
Part B: Great description, though it was confusing to have your response to your first prompt combined with your response to the second prompt.
This is a great point:
"In my experiment that’s exactly what the absence of body language revealed; lack of honesty on what I spoke."
Excellent. Well done pulling this important point out of your experiment.
Okay on the benefits of body language, but what type of benefits do you get by being able to detect liars? Humans tend to use body language as a type of lie detector. If spoken words don't match with the body language, we are more inclined to believe the body language and doubt the words. Think about how being able to detect liars might help an individual's ability to survive and reproduce.
Like all human traits, there is normal variation in expression, and the ability to read body language is no different. But beyond that, there are groups of people who have great difficulty or an outright inability to read body language due to physical or mental disability, such as those who are in the autism spectrum or those who are blind (though they can read vocal intonation).
"A certain scenario might be someone speaking through audio alone, with no visual."
That's not what the question asks. This is a situation where body language isn't available to read.
With regard to a situation where it might be beneficial to ignore body language, think about a situation where body language might lie to you. When might body language of others mislead you and it would be better to ignore it? Do all cultures use the same system of body language? They all use different systems of spoken/written language, so why would we assume their body language isn't different? If you travel to another country, can you trust the information you get from their body language?
Hi Victor,
ReplyDeleteI think it is really beautiful that you were able to experience this with your wife and two little girls. I’m sure this was a fun acitivity for them and hopefully brought you all some extra joy during this difficult and scary time. I appreciate how you mentioned that you had to restart your first attempt because you accidentally said “ok”. I myself ended up having to cover my mouth right as my partner and I began because I almost responded using language. I find it hilarious of your daughters to use that time to try and convince you of allowing them more time to play their online game! They must’ve figured that because you could not speak, you would have to sit there and listen! How clever. You have some smart little girls on your hands. I find it precious that although you could not express the solution you thought of in that moment, your wife thought of the same one and was able to tell the girls this for the both of you. I completely agree that the biggest struggle during this experiment was feeling like you had no way to communicate what you were feeling. My conversation was between my mom and I but I also felt that I did not contribute much at all. I actually found the second part of the experiment more difficult because like you, I am a hand talker. I never think twice about using body language during my stories- I even ended up sitting on my hands in order to make sure I followed the rules of the assignment to the best of my ability. My mom said the exact same thing as your wife, she thought that our conversation was very boring and awkward because she could not tell how I truly felt about our conversation. Great job. I really enjoyed reading about your experience.
Jillian Le Duff :,)
Hi, Victor,
ReplyDeleteI love how you described your experiment and how your kiddos took advantage of your silence. That made me chuckle. I completely agreed with your observation about spoken language definitely being advantageous over other forms. I had to face palm when I read how you brought up that it's impossible to read body language when listening to someone- like over the phone- because I racked my brain trying to think of scenarios where it wouldn't be possible to read body language and speaking over the phone didn't occur to me. You also brought up a good point when you said that not using body language made your conversing seem to lack honesty. I found this in my experiment as well. My partner really helped cue me in when he pointed out that Part 2 of our experiment was harder for him because I seemed disinterested and not sincere in my responses. I really enjoyed reading your post. You clued me in on some things that didn't even occur to me otherwise. Great job!
Hi victor,
ReplyDeleteI found your communications beforehand with all participants an interesting difference compared to my own experience. However it maybe neccessary due to the increase of participation and child involvement. With that said, I feel some detail and information given offer nothing of value to the experiment, like the knowledge of the restart of the first experiment doesn't seem apparent to me as to how it adds valuable information to the conclusion of the experiment. All and all, I found the whole reading interesting if a bit cluttered.